THE BELL OF FREEDOM RINGS ONCE AGAIN AS WASHINGTON MEMORIAL CHAPEL RESTORES HISTORIC JUSTICE BELL
Open To The Public To View A Piece Of History!
The Washington Memorial Chapel has announced that the Justice Bell, which serves as the symbol of the women’s suffrage movement and the successful effort to pass the 19th Amendment giving women the right to vote, has just been restored. Guests are welcome to come visit the new, restored Justice Bell during visiting hours and witness a piece of history. Prominently displayed in the atrium of the National Patriots Bell Tower of the Chapel, the Justice Bell was the brainchild and gift of Katharine Wentworth Ruschenberger of Strafford, Chester County, PA. In 1915 she commissioned the casting of a duplicate of the Liberty Bell, adding the inscription “Establish Justice” to call attention to the fight for women’s suffrage. The Justice Bell has been located at the Chapel since the 1920s and within the Bell Tower since 1996. The National Patriots Bell Tower and Carillon were finished in 1953 and built with the financial support of members of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Date & Time
Sep 16, 2017 through Dec 30, 2017
10:00AM - 5:00PM
Community & Neighborhood Avon Grove Kennett Square Chadds Ford Oxford Unionville Landenberg