The Society was incorporated by an act of the General Assembly in 1931. The building which now houses the Society was constructed about 1830 as a bank with commercial space for a vault and cashier’s office on the first floor and residential quarters for the head cashier above. In the 1890s, architect Levi Cameron completed major renovations to the building. It was last privately owned by Henry H. Mitchell. In 1955, the Cecil County Public Library obtained the building as its home and the Society was given space, the Howard Room, for its collection. In 1988, the library moved to a new home and the Society occupied a large part of the building.