Comfort Food Made Quick and Easy
Feb 05, 2018 03:31AM ● Published by Family Features
A steaming bowl of savory soup is the perfect comfort food when the wind is howling, rain is falling or the temperature is dropping. It’s a time to cozy up and enjoy the warmth of being inside while indulging in some of your favorite flavors.
The rich, hearty tastes and textures of a soup result from the seasonings, spices and melding of different ingredients while it slowly simmers to perfection. However, when there’s no time for lots of prep and cooking, there are shortcuts that don’t sacrifice taste.
For example, when time is short, a can of READ Southwestern Bean Salad gives you a head start. The robust mixture of black beans, corn, hominy and kidney beans in a slightly spicy, chili-lime accented tomato sauce is just right in recipes that boast Tex-Mex flavors like this Chicken Enchilada Soup. Just add a few pantry staples and some sauteed chicken for a warming pot of soup in about half an hour.
For more quick and easy recipes for the season, visit readsalads.com.
Chicken Enchilada Soup
Recipe courtesy of Dinner, Dishes and Desserts on behalf of READ Salads
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) READ Southwestern Bean Salad
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- crispy tortilla strips (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- diced avocado (optional)
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion. Cook 5-6 minutes, or until chicken is browned and onions are soft, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in enchilada sauce, chicken stock, tomatoes and bean salad. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with tortilla strips, cheese and avocado, if desired.