Celebrating Everyday Moments
Aug 29, 2016 04:30AM
● By Family Features
(Family Features) Finding time to celebrate family moments is always sweeter with a delicious ice cream dessert.
Breyers partnered with celebrity chef Curtis Stone and his wife, actress Lindsay Price Stone, to celebrate its 150th birthday. The couple created 12 delicious ice cream recipes inspired by each month of the year using Breyers Natural Vanilla ice cream. From January’s recipe featuring Fortune Cookies and Natural Vanilla Ice Cream with Mandarins and Oranges to December’s Spicy Hot Chocolate Floats, families have desserts to celebrate everyday moments all year long.
“Beyond a great taste, Breyers Natural Vanilla offers families peace of mind with its simple ingredients like sustainably farmed vanilla beans,” Curtis Stone said. “Also, it’s made with milk and cream from cows not treated with artificial growth hormones*.”
Start making the most of family time by visiting Breyers.com for more recipes and join in on the birthday celebration.
*Suppliers of other ingredients such as cookies and sauces may not be able to make this pledge. The FDA states that no significant difference has been shown between dairy derived from rBST-treated and non-rBST-treated cows. Find more information about the Breyers pledge at Breyers.com.
S’mores Ice Cream Birthday Pie
Prep time: 20 minutes, plus 8 hours 40 minutes freezing time
Cook time: 2 minutes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 ounces milk chocolate, coarsely chopped, divided
- 2 1/4 teaspoons canola oil
- 30 chocolate wafer cookies
- pinch of salt
- 5 graham cracker sheets, broken into bite-size pieces
- 6 cups Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream, softened
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- birthday candles (optional)
- Lightly spray 9-inch springform pan with 3-inch high sides with cooking spray.
- In small bowl over simmering water, stir 3 ounces chocolate and oil until melted and blended.
- In food processor, grind chocolate wafer cookies into fine crumbs (about 1 1/3 cups). Add chocolate mixture and pinch of salt and pulse until moistened. Press crumb mixture evenly onto bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of pan. Freeze for about 10 minutes, or until crust hardens.
- In large chilled bowl, fold graham cracker pieces and remaining chocolate into ice cream. Pour mixture into frozen crust and smooth top. Freeze for about 8 hours, or until ice cream hardens. Remove pie from pan and transfer to platter. Return pie to freezer.
- In large bowl, using electric hand mixer on medium-high speed, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar and beat for about 5 minutes, or until firm glossy peaks form.
- Using large spoon, dollop meringue onto pie and spread decoratively, making sure no ice cream is exposed. Using kitchen blowtorch, torch meringue until browned all over.
Freeze pie for about 30 minutes, or until meringue has stiffened. Decorate with lit birthday candles, if desired. Slice and serve immediately.
Note: Pie, without meringue topping, can be made up to 1 week ahead, covered and frozen.
Brookie Cherry Ice Cream Sandwiches
Prep time: 20 minutes, plus 2 hours 30 minutes freezing time
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 pound fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, coarsely chopped
- nonstick cooking spray
- In small saucepan over medium heat, bring cherries, granulated sugar and lemon juice to simmer, mashing cherries with potato masher or fork to break up. Simmer, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Transfer to shallow container, cover and refrigerate until cold.
- In large chilled bowl, fold cherry mixture into ice cream until blended. Cover and freeze about 2 hours, or until firm.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, egg whites and salt. Using electric hand mixer on low speed, beat for about 1 minute, or until just blended. Fold in walnuts.
- Immediately drop 16 mounds of batter onto prepared baking sheets, spacing evenly. Spray underside of spoon with cooking spray and spread mounds into 2 1/2-inch rounds. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until tops are shiny and cracked. Cool cookies completely.
- Scoop ice cream onto flat side of half of cookies. Place another cookie on top of ice cream and gently press down until ice cream spreads to edges. Return sandwiches to freezer for about 30 minutes to firm up before serving.
Note: Brookies can be baked up to 1 day ahead, stored airtight at room temperature.
Roasted White Peaches with Honeycomb and Vanilla Ice Cream
Prep time: 10 minutes, plus 20 minutes cooling time
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 lemon, zested
- 4 ripe but firm white peaches, halved and pitted
- 2/3 cup water, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream, divided
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- In small bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons sugar and lemon zest for about 1 minute, or until sugar is fragrant and moist. Arrange peaches, cut side up, in 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Pour water into dish. Sprinkle lemon sugar mixture over peaches and roast 25-30 minutes, or until peaches are slightly softened and have released their juices.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray cooking spray on small baking sheet.
- In medium-heavy saucepan over high heat, bring remaining sugar, honey and 2 tablespoons water to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, without stirring, about 5 minutes, or until candy thermometer reaches 305°F.
Remove from heat and whisk in baking soda until blended and mixture begins to bubble.
- Gently pour hot mixture onto prepared baking sheet and cool. Break honeycomb into small pieces and reserve in airtight container.
- Spoon 1/2 cup ice cream into each of 8 bowls. Top with warm roasted peaches and warm juices. Sprinkle with honeycomb pieces and serve immediately.
Note: Honeycomb can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.