Power Up Throughout the Day with Protein
Jan 26, 2015 03:45AM
● Published by Family Features
As the building blocks of life, your body requires protein to function properly. But protein is also an important nutrient for those who wish to stay satisfied and full throughout their busy days.
Why protein is essential
A vital part of every diet, proteins are made up of a chain of amino acids which work to repair damaged cells and create new ones. According to the National Institutes of Health, the right amount of protein can be found in a well-balanced, complete diet.
While sources of protein are often found in meats, eggs and fish, they can also be found in a variety of plant-based foods, such as soy, nuts and certain grains. As the average American's schedule grows busier by the minute, it's important to know the many convenient sources of protein available.
Fuel the day
A successful day at work requires the focus and energy from a complete, balanced diet, including the addition of protein sources when possible. Try these tips and meal ideas for filling your morning and afternoon meals with smarter, more powerful food picks:
- Breakfast. Check one item - having a wholesome morning meal - off your list of things to do each and every day. Perfect for those rushed, on-the-go mornings, opt for a protein-packed smoothie. Available in many flavorful varieties, they're easy to throw in your bag and enjoy as you commute.
- Snack. A satisfying snack is one that will keep energy levels up and carry you over to your next meal. Some smart and satisfying options include Premier Protein 30g Bars and Fiber Bars. They are gluten-free and a good source of fiber, available in a variety of flavors and offer up to 30 grams of protein per bar. Keep them on hand in your desk or computer bag so you're always able to snack whenever hunger hits. For more satisfying snacks, visit www.premierprotein.com.
- Lunch. Amp up the protein on your turkey sandwich by replacing mayo and mustard with hummus, and use high-protein bread instead of regular whole wheat. For salads, add sliced hard boiled eggs and chickpeas. For a sweet power-packed side, try cottage cheese topped with sliced peaches or Greek yogurt topped with fresh blueberries.
- Post-workout fuel. Whether you exercise in the morning or after a long day at the office, give your body the fuel it needs to recover. A rich and creamy Premier Protein Shake, available in chocolate, vanilla and strawberries & cream, offers up 30 grams of protein and contains only 160 calories and 1 gram of sugar.
Make balanced meals and snack options a part of every day with the various protein-packed sources available. No matter what your social or work life demands, there are always simple ways to help you stay balanced, fueled and healthy.Photo courtesy of Getty Images